Friday, December 19, 2008

A Trip in the Way Back Machine

I grew up on the South Side of Chicago in the 60's & 70's. Recently my sister PJ (who still lives on the South Side) called up all excited, "Listen!" she said. I listened. And waited. I could hear her in the background but wasn't sure what I was listening for. Turns out one of the seasonal cartoons from our youth was playing on the TV and she wanted to share. I was bummed I couldn't hear it.

That got me to thinking about the shows I grew up with. Which reminded me of how few channels we had growing up. Five. We had five TV channels; CBS, NBC, ABC, WGN and the PBS station. We actually had to GET UP and TURN THE KNOB to change the channels! And heaven forbid should you need to turn up/down the volume because you had to GET UP to do that too! hmmm....maybe if i got up off my fat arse to change channels/volume today my arse wouldn't BE so fat? Naaaa!


Does anyone remember The Ray Rayner Show?



He had a big white duck he would haul out every day and feed lettuce to and then let him swim in a kiddie pool. That duck HATED Ray! It would bite him every chance he got!



How about Garfield Goose?
This was one of my favorites!


And Bozo the Clown?

Did you know they had a TEN YEAR waiting list for tickets??

Photo courtesy of http://www.chicagotelevision.com/wgntv.htm)


Or how about Captain Kangaroo?

(Photo courtesy of http://timstvshowcase.com/kangaroo.html)


And one of my very first TV memories...."Romper, bomper, stomper boo. Tell me, tell me, tell me, do. Magic mirror, tell me today. Have all my friends had fun at play? I can see Scotty and Kimberly and Julie and Jimmy and Kelly and all of you boys and girls out there!" Romper Room!

Well after a little surfing on Youtube I found the two short cartoons PJ was trying to let me listen to. I've only ever seen them while in Chicago so I'm assuming they're a Midwest thing. So for those of you who've never seen these sit back and take a little trip in my travel back machine.....they sure bring back memories for me.


















Bonus points for those who know what this is and where you could find it...