Sunday, September 21, 2008

Have you ever wondered?

Did you ever wish you were Deanna Troi, the telepath, half Betazoid, half human of Star Trek Next Generation? To be able to read peoples minds for just one day? I'm pretty sure most of us have wondered at one point or another what others think of us. Do they like us? Why? Why not? And it's not often if ever, that we really know.

I often come across bitchy and a bit aloof. I can be outspoken. If you ask for my opinion, you better be ready to hear it. Once in a job interview, a potential employer asked me what I thought my best assest was. I told him my honesty. When asked what I thought my biggest flaw was my answer was the same. I usually talk too much and too loud and laugh even louder. I'm not a very girly girl. My daily make-up routine involves eyeliner, a sweep of neutral eye shadow, mascara and tinted chap stick. And I'm a casual dresser, jeans & t-shirts mostly. When I dress up I add blush to the makeup and clean dark jeans to the wardrobe. It's not that I don't care because I do but I'm not going to change who I am to make you happy. This is who I am, take it or leave it. I have had a quote on my desk at every job for as long as I can remember;
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind." Dr Seuss

Then I got this birthday card ...

It reads: She's the one you've known forever. The one you go to for honest advice and genuine support. The one who accepts your quirky little habits and understands you in a way few others can. She's the one you can call at any hour ~ to laugh or cry or complain. The one whose voice has been there all along, sharing secrets and dreams and singing your song when you needed to hear it most. She's the one who can read your mind, hear your heart and love you just the way you are. She's your lifelong friend...but so much more. She's your sister.


If one of my Sisters, someone who has known me all her life, feels this way about me, well I figure at least some of the people I call Friend might feel the same.

It's nice to know.